Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mee Bon Coffee Shop (米文包饺茶室/Kedai Kopi Mee Bon)

Today, I would like to get you guys into a more traditional Chinese food, dim sum. Not in a 5 star hotel, whereas it is situated at a shop along Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur. The shop does not look fascinating by itself, but the crowd/the queue of eaters do catch some attention. It has a history for more than 60 years. However, my reason to dine is not because of the crowd or the long queue or the history, it is a bond between Me & MeeBon (not Me & Marley!!!). This is because I have been eating the 'char siu pau' from this coffee shop since childhood. It has been accompanying me for more than 20 years. Not only their 'char siu pau', but also, their 'loh mai kai'...







'LOH MAI KAI' (糯米鸡)
This sticky glutinous rice steamed with chicken slices is one of the most famous dim sum that most eaters will order, so am I. I love 'loh mai kai' alot, especially the one in Mee Bon. May be it is because I'm used to their taste, & the taste suits me. [Price: ($) / Worthiness: good]



PRAWN 'CHEONG FUN' (猪肠粉)
This 'chi cheung fun' is quite unpredictable!!! What makes me say so is because the rice flour skin may differ each time I went. Sometimes it is perfect, sometimes it is too thick!!! In spite of that, the prawns are not constantly fresh. The chili is not bad. Hopefully, they can control their quality, even though it is during peak hours!!! [Price: ($) / Worthiness: Fair]


VARIOUS STEAMED DIM SUM
There are various types of dim sum to be chosen of. I personally would suggest 'siu mai' (烧卖) and 'yong ai gua' (酿茄子/brinjals). However, most of the dim sums which come with prawns are not fresh. The main reason which I have discovered is either the supply of prawns are not fresh or the shop keepers have kept the prawns for too long before making dim sum. Hence, causes all their dim sums which use prawns as the main ingredients, mostly taste weaker than those which acre made by pork or fish paste. Nevertheless, there are still plenty of choices. [Price: ($) each / Worthiness: fair]

SUMMARY:
A place which serves traditional dim sum with lots of choices in a reasonable price. Most importantly, their dipping sauce (a sweet black sauce) is very special, you cannot get it in any where else, but Mee Bon (I have heard from my mum that Mee Bon has a branch in Manjarala Kepong which is not named Mee Bon, I have to check it out 1st ^.^). Most of the places which sell dim sum are over-priced their food, but not Mee Bon. This is a place worth going, if you are not picky, or you have a heart for traditional dim sum kopitiam!!! LoL...

Address:
No. 491 Batu 3, Jalan Ipoh, 51200 Kuala Lumpur.

Star-rating: 3/10*

No comments:

Post a Comment